‘Darth Maul:Shadow Hunter’ – Chapter 21

Okay, I know it’s been a while since I’ve actually blogged and again, I apologize.  I had to take care of our choir concert this week and get things together for the next couple of weeks.  I have also been SCRAMBLING to get TJCS #5 out on time.  As a matter of fact, it may honestly not get finished on time.  I apologize now if it doesn’t happen on time.  A lot of that depends on how next week goes and whether or not I’m going to have the ability to get to it on Memorial Day.  That may be the only day I have to record any other segments for the show.  In amongst all of that, I also have other things to do, including interviewing Nathan Butler for a special segment of TJCS that is going to be titled “Spotlight”.  I’m going to use this series to “spotlight” current and projects are to come out yet.  This way I can give drama and parody/audio projects a place to come and talk about their projects.  Anyone got something they want to “Spotlight”?


Okay, I’ll do this segment a little different.  I’ll give you a day by day blow of my past week or so and then I’ll review Chapter 21 of “Darth Maul:  Shadow Hunter” by Michael Reaves.  I’m getting scared because I’m actually running behind on reading as well and we’re almost caught up to the point at which I’m working on the books.  Heh, that may mean that in the future I may have to take my reviews offline for a few weeks in order to review the book and then start blogging about the book again.  Let’s all hope I don’t have to do that.  Here’s my week:


Saturday was a “relax before the chaos” of the week, day.  I got up at around 8:30 a.m. and went downstairs and decided to watch “Batman Begins” again simply because I fell asleep while I watched it last night just out of exhaustion.  But, I really am not a huge fan of the movie.  It was okay, but how many times do we need to go over Batman’s history?  Honestly folks, don’t we all know that Bruce Wayne’s parents get killed, he falls in a cave gets scared by bats and that is what causes him to become Batman?  I’m just not impressed with Batman movies anymore.  They’ve been overdone!  Move on!  Do a cool character like Captain America or The Avengers.  I know, that’s not D.C comics.  Anyway, I went out back after watching the movie and spent two hours digging up my yard for our garden.  What a pain in the butt!!  I found out that my home is on a rock quarry of some sort.  I’ve seen fewer rocks in a rock climbing movie!  (inside joke).  Anyway, I came inside and helped the kids with the winter clothes and getting them out of their closets and putting out the spring clothes.  While we did all of this, my wife worked for Hillside Gardens delivering flowers for Mother’s Day.  She came home exhausted, slept a little and then headed back to work at Wendy’s for the night shift.  Man, I’m glad Mother’s Day is tomorrow so she can relax.  Tonight I watched “Kicking and Screaming” with Will Farrell and the kids joined me.  It was a great movie.  It’s like the “Little Giants” of soccer if you haven’t seen it yet.  I also worked on my Helm’s Deep set as I know it may be a week or even two before I get a chance to work on it again.


Sunday was a beautiful Mother’s Day.  The kids and I got up early and headed over to Dunkin Donuts.  I thought I would get Heather (and myself) some Vanilla Chai’s and donuts for breakfast as well as my usual plan.  Well, we got home and the kids and I started putting together breakfast in bed for Heather.  We did our usual “cute” things like Ruth being the waitress and asking mom what she wanted out of our choices for breakfast.  I threw a jokes in like we don’t have any coffee because we accidentally ordered the jumping beans.  Quirky stuff like that, which keeps my wife laughing.  While we were taking care of this, I went to drink my vanilla chai and burned my tongue on hot water.  That’s all that was in the cup was steaming hot water.  I know the cup says the contents are hot, but at least they should put the ingredients in the cup.  Luckily Heather’s cup had chai in it, so I was able to serve her breakfast.  After we finished I went back up to our Dunkin Donuts and the manager apologized profusely and gave me a new chai and upgraded it to a large.  That was nice and all, but our Dunkin Donuts around here sucks!  They never seem to get anything right and their workers constantly make mistakes.  This seemed like one of many mistakes I’ve had in the past five years.  Anyway, came home to Heather and she finished opening her Mother’s Day gifts.  Heather went outside and decided to work on the bushes and the flower beds she wants to work with later.  This afternoon we called both of our Mom’s and wished them a happy Mother’s Day.  I always feel guilty when I don’t spend Mother’s Day with my mother.  I know I have my own family and all, but Heather’s not my mother and it just feels weird to celebrate Mother’s Day with your wife.  Anyway, we went downstairs and watched “Mr. And Mrs. Smith” (Heather’s Mother’s Day movie from me) and really enjoyed it.  We put together a last minute dinner and then went downstairs and watched the finals of “Survivor” until 9 p.m. when “The Sopranos” came on and then we switched back and forth to watch both.  I wasn’t surprised to see that Aras won “Survivor”.  I saw that one coming from about four episodes ago.  Anyway, we ended the evening watching “Big Love” and went to bed right away.  We knew we had a rough week ahead.


Monday was extremely busy for me, especially for me at work.  It was crunch time for the concert.  I finished putting together the sound and lighting system and worked on getting them together for the students who will be running them for the concert.  The choir had a rehearsal today and it seemed to go much better with the eighth grade students there.  It just proves that they really are the “rock” that holds together the group.  Rehearsal went well and everything seemed to go fine.  I know the band director is nervous about the final number as we haven’t rehearsed it yet and won’t rehearse it until the final number tomorrow, but I know it will go well.  I got home and Heather decided to make dinner and we relaxed for a little bit tonight and then got thoroughly annoyed at the president being on T.V. and offsetting our entire night.  Got to work on the Helm’s Deep set a little tonight.  Not much though.


Tuesday.  Concert day.  I am so proud of my students in the choir!  They did a great job at both concerts and I hope they’re proud of themselves, because they should be.  They worked through some tough times and gave a great performance both times.  They even gave me flowers and a thank you card tonight, which really touched me.  I also played with the Stage Band as I always do and they rocked out tonight as well.  Actually, there was not one aspect of either of the concerts that didn’t go well.  Bravo to the students of East Middle School!  I came home tonight and CRASHED!!  I fell asleep in my chair (even though I can’t put the leg on the chair up right now).  Heather came home on her break from the late-shift with a surprise.  She brought me some wine coolers and my favorite chips to help me relax.  I worked as I actually fell asleep by 11 p.m.  Again, I think this was out of sheer exhaustion.


Wednesday didn’t seem like it was going to be busy, but it was busy as well.  I decided to take over the chorus field trip on May 30th.  SO, I had to organize the paperwork, money and all the things in between.  It made for a stressful morning of organizing materials that I had never worked on.  But, I didn’t want these students to miss out on an opportunity simply because their teacher is injured.  I also talked to the other teachers going on the trip today and seemed to have everything in order by the afternoon.  That’s when I realized we had a faculty meeting tonight that I was supposed to be presenting at.  So, I had to track down a projector for my laptop.  I did manage to get some recording for TJCS #5 done and managed to get the “In The Bag” segment finished.  I hope to get the “Twileek Talk” segment done sometime tomorrow, which means that TJCS may get done on time.  However, I have some serious editing to do yet, so don’t hold your breath.  I also need to get Nathan a set of questions about his “Echoes” project and I plan on interviewing him sometime in the evening on Monday next week.  On top of all of this, Austin has a Boy Scout picnic this weekend, we plan on celebrating Ruth’s birthday, and my parents are visiting.  Man, and I thought weekends were supposed to be for relaxing.  I guess that’s not the case anymore.  Heather and I took the kids to Survivor Kid’s Club tonight then headed over to Walmart to exchange my HDMI cable for an HDMI to DVI cable.  We also went to JSG Audio and Video and got some new cord for my center speaker as I had to move where it was because of the new 62” Mitsubishi T.V.  It had to go under the T.V.  I hope this is proper placement.  I’ve never put it there before and I hope it doesn’t mess up the sound of my system, but there is no where else to put it.  We came home with the kids and I went to hook up my HDMI cable while we were watching “The Amazing Race” finale and it told me our cable box doesn’t support HDCP, whatever the heck that means!  We called Time Warner and no on had any idea as usual!  So, we had to schedule a technician to come to our house yet again next week Wednesday to look at our latest set of problems.  I’m so tired of them having to come to my house and then tell me they can’t help me because they don’t know what the problem is.  Why the heck to I pay this much money for such crappy service?  If Time Warner can’t handle supporting HDTV, then maybe they shouldn’t be pushing it as a new service.  Just like if they can’t handle Digital Phone, then they shouldn’t advertise for that either.  They keep coming up with these new formats and programs to push on the public, but have no way to support it when they do design these programs.  Okay, I’ll get off my Time Warner soap box.  Heather and I also switched back and forth so we could watch Idol.  I’m excited that the finalists are Taylor Hicks and Katharine McPhee.  I think it will make for an amazing finals night.  We went to bed a little early tonight, again out of exhaustion more than anything else.


Thursday was another busy day at work.  I got things together for the field trip, like student info sheets and started to get myself finished with the organizational side of things.  I just didn’t think it would take this long to organize everything, but I keep reminding myself that I’m not the normal director and she organized things her way and I have mine, so I just have to transfer it over to my organizational style.  I managed to do that.  I also managed to talk to my department chair today and she let me know that I’ll be compensated for the time I’ve spent organizing and working with the choir.  That will be nice.  It’s nice to know that I feel appreciated and my department chair helped to make me feel that way.  For me, it’s not about the money, it’s about the kids and I think they did a great job.  I managed to talk to the other teachers going on the trip with me and they think I’m very organized and have done a great job in a very short amount of time.  Hopefully all goes well.  Came home tonight and spent some time with Heather and the kids before I had to go to SMASH rehearsal.  Rehearsal went well and I was happy that we’re adding new parts to the new show for our upcoming concerts.  We’re doing concerts at a few elementary schools and are looking at doing a concert at the mall in the future.  Heather then watched C.S.I. with me and we went to bed.


Friday was a busy day as well.  Busier than I thought it would be.  I got in this morning and took my lunch counts down to the cafeteria and found out I need to have names for them.  Whoops.  So, I tried to come up with a gameplan to take care of that problem.  Then I got together with the other students on the trip that couldn’t make the meeting yesterday and seem to finally have everything together.  Went over the next two “Lord of the Rings” soundtrack songs today in classes.  Came home to Heather and we all went to Wendy’s to eat dinner and the kids and I came home and cleaned the house for grandma and grandpa coming out tomorrow.  I watched “Team America” again tonight while working on the notes for TJCS #5.  I still have MASSIVE amounts of recording to do for that episode and I don’t see it happening this weekend with my parents being here.  So, let’s hope I get it out on time.  Monday night I have an interview with Nathan Butler about his new “Echoes” project and plan to have him on a special episode of TJCS.  An announcement for that will be on TJCS #5 and will come on here sometime soon in the near future.


Okay, onto my discussion of Chapter 21 of “Darth Maul:Shadow Hunter” by Michael Reaves…..


Chapter 21:  We follow Darsha Assant as she hears sounds of a struggle and recognizes that Lorn Pavan is involved.  Assant suddenly realizes that she has been caught by some creatures in tunnels.  Assant gets to her knees and manages to Force-push the creatures as much as she can with bound arms.  A few of the creatures focus on her and Pavan informs her that they’re C’thons and they’re cannibals.  Pavan tells her that I-Five’s been deactivated that he can help them.  She tried to reach out with The Force to flip on I-Five’s power switch but at the last minute or distracted by a C’thon.  The C’thon let out a powerful scream, or it least it seemed.  Then Assant realizes that I-Five is extracting the noise.  I-Five stood up and headed over to Pavan.  He put Pavan on his back and started to head for an exit.  Assant got up and Force-pushed C’thons out of her way to clear a path.  However, a large group of them was forming ahead.  That’s when Darsha saw her lightsaber and used The Force to lift it into her hands.  The C’thons began to back-off with the double threat of the lightsaber and the sound coming from I-Five.  They escape down a brick tunnel starting at a run, then slowing to a fast walk.  I-Five lets them know he senses no one following them, and they all begin to thank each other for playing their part in their escape.  They all note that the C’thons gave up very easily.  I-Five speculates that either they have another trap planned or that something worse is ahead of them.  Things weren’t looking good.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: